Make sure you consult the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between your home faculty of law and/or institution and the Civil Law Section, Faculty of Law and/or the University of Ottawa when preparing your exchange program application.

Some partnerships are limited either to the Civil Law Section or to the Common Law Section, while others apply to both. MOUs may include or exclude graduate studies in Law—hence the importance of understanding the terms of the MOU to prepare an application that meets the requirements of the partnership in question.

Normally, you should be able to obtain the necessary information from your faculty or from the international relations service of your home institution.

You should also acquaint yourself with the University of Ottawa’s Faculty of Law by visiting the websites of the Faculty’s three main units: the Civil Law Section (course code DRC and DCC) and the Common Law Section (course code CML), which offer undergraduate programs (licentiate, certificate, bachelor), and Graduate Studies in Law (course code DCL) which offers programs at the master’s and doctoral levels.

Lastly, contact your home faculty/institution to find out the conditions for participating in the exchange program. Carefully read the information for incoming exchange students on the website of the University of Ottawa’s International Office before beginning to prepare your application, so that you are sure you meet all of the conditions of both institutions.

Contacts for student exchanges:

Licence (French) and Certificate (English and French) in Civil Law Programs - course codes DRC and DCC:
Faculty of Law, Civil Law Section

Juris Doctor Program (English and French) in Common Law - course code CML:
Jenna Doucet
Academic Advisor
Faculty of Law, Common Law Section

Master and Doctoral Programs (English and French) - course code DCL:
Sochetra Nget
Assistant Dean
Graduate Studies in Law
Faculty of Law (Civil Law and Common Law Sections)

Back to top