Request for Prior-Learning Recognition

What is prior-learning recognition?

The Admissions' Office of the University of Ottawa does not admit students to Civil Law programs with equivalencies as the first year of study is mandatory. However, if you strongly believe that you have completed some equivalent courses in another Canadian university, prior to the start of your program of study, you can always request for a prior-learning recognition.

College & Cegep students

College & CEGEP students cannot receive advanced-standings, but if you have successfully completed a Paralegal Technology program (DEC) and have the official transcript to prove it (must be confirmed), you can be exempted from Volets C & D of the DRC1500 class.

How to submit your request?

In order for the Civil Law section to recognize your prior-learning credits, you must fill out the Request for Prior-Learning Recognition form (PDF) and provide a copy of your official transcript if the courses have been completed elsewhere.*

You may return the signed form along with its necessary documents by email at or drop it off in person at the academic secretariat of the Civil Law section located at 57, Louis-Pasteur Pvt, room 201 (Ottawa, ON).

*This request is free of charge in contrary to what is written on the form.

How many credits can be given?

No more than 30 advanced-standing credits can be given. 

Please note that a maximum of 15 advanced-standing credits can be retained if you have completed the General Certificate in Law from the University of Ottawa. For more information, please consult our Licence en droit (LL.L.) webpage.

Back to top